Presbytery Central has a number of workgroups consisting of people with skills, talents and callings to a particular area of our ministry.
The Children and Families Ministry Work Group enables functions within Presbytery Central associated with ministry to children and families, including
- Leadership training;
- Children and Families Ministry advocacy;
- Networking & pastoral care of Childrens and Family Ministry Leaders
- Promoting the vision of Kids Friendly
- Running regional and Presbytery-wide events
The Employment Workgroup undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with employment, including
- Selecting individuals to be employed or contracted by Presbytery,
- Creating agreements for individuals employed or contracted by Presbytery,
- Undertaking performance reviews of individuals employed or contracted by Presbytery, and
- Providing determinations on employment related issues.
The Finance Workgroup supports Council in ensuring the effective, efficient and ethical management of the financial assets of the Presbytery and the parishes which comprise it, with functions including
- Developing a budgets and balance sheets.
- Ensuring appropriate financial reporting.
- Developing and maintaining financial reporting processes and systems.
- Recommending presbytery levies.
- Advising and supporting parishes in the management of their finances and assets.
- Developing longer term plans to support the work of Presbytery and parishes.
- Engaging in such audits and other investigations as may be required.
The Leadership Work Group undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with leadership, ministry and healthy congregations, including
- Congregation reviews
- Leadership development
- Ministry candidates
- Managing and filling vacancies
- Processing complaints against ministers
- Ensuring that Presbytery’s employment responsibilities to its staff are met
The Mission Work Group undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with mission, including
- Oversight of and advocacy for Presbytery’s Strategic Commitments and mission plan;
- Resourcing congregations and faith communities for mission;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of mission initiatives within Presbytery;
- Providing a missional perspective on applications regarding property and non-standard insurance arrangements received by Presbytery;
- Coordinating reviews on the shape of mission and ministry within a local area or region;
The Mission Resourcing Work Group undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with mission, including
- Supporting financially or by other means Presbytery’s Strategic Commitments which include
- Encouraging and supporting new or re-imagined ways of being church (commitment 4);
- assisting congregations to access the skilled people they need (commitment 5a);
- assisting congregations to access the financial resources of the Presbytery in order to support their missional objectives (commitment 5b);
- finding ways of ‘telling the stories’ and celebrating what God is doing in the Presbytery (commitment 6); and
- providing on-going training and resourcing of our leadership (commitment 7);
The Property Work Group undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with church property and insurance thereof, including
- Processing applications submitted by congregations regarding the sale, purchase, lease, exchange, alteration, major repair (including earthquake strengthening) or demolition of existing buildings, or the construction of new buildings;
- Processing applications submitted by congregations, in conjunction with the above, regarding the borrowing of funds or making an application for Lotteries Commission funding;
- Processing applications submitted by congregations regarding any non-standard property insurance arrangements;
- The maintenance of church buildings within the Presbytery;
- The management (including disposal) of any church buildings coming under the beneficial ownership of Presbytery;
The Uniting Parishes Oversight Group undertakes functions within Presbytery Central associated with Uniting Parishes including
- Liaising with partner churches and UCANZ
- Undertaking discussions around property ratios and coordinating partners
The Youth Ministry Work Group undertakes certain functions within Presbytery Central associated with ministry to young people, including
- Leadership training;
- Consultancy services provided to congregations;
- Youth advocacy;
- Running regional and Presbytery-wide events;
- Resource development